Girl Dies After Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP -- A seven-year-old girl is dead after a fire in Lackawanna County.

When firefighters arrived on the scene of the house fire near Mount Cobb early Thursday morning, they found the place full of flames.

The Bruch's lived there. The father was not home at the time, and the son got out ok.

However, two others had to be pulled out of the home.

The fire marshall is still looking into whether or not the home had smoke alarms.

What they do know is the blaze was accidental and spread like wild fire.

The flames could be seen as high as the tree line said neighbors about the fire that sparked just after midnight Thursday morning.

It took firefighters hours to get it under control, and two family members who were inside at the time had to be dragged out.

"I saw a foot, I grabbed it, and it was Trista, and I pulled her out. I told my daughter, you're an EMT, you are trained, start giving her CPR. I started yelling for Brenda, went in again, saw a foot, I grabbed her and drug her out," said David Luptak, a neighbor.

Trista Bruch was just seven years old.

"She was just limp in my arms. It was the most horrible thing I could have ever seen," said Felicia Luptak, a neighbor.

Luptak said emergency workers and firefighters were there within minutes and rushed the mother, little girl, and teenage son to Geisinger CMC in Scranton.

All three were later transported to the Lehigh Valley Burn Center where Trista died.

"It was so bad, we rolled in and the entire structure was involved in flames, we were the first truck coming in it was pretty bad when we got here," said Assistant Fire Chief Don Wallace, of Jeffereson Township.

The Luptaks said they are just glad they were in the right place at the right time.

The mother is in critical condition at Lehigh Valley Hospital, and the teenage son is in fair condition.

State police fire marshall ruled the blaze accidental.