Brewing at Home
Info for getting started in HomeBrewing!
How Much Does It cost?
- Basic beginner equipment kits start around $80.
- Ingredients cost $25-$45 per 5 gallon batch depending on the style being brewed (5 gallons makes about 2 cases of 12 oz bottles, with 24 bottles per case).
How Long Does it Take?
- It will be about four weeks before you can drink the beer you make, but the actual time from boil to beer depends on the style of beer you’re making.
- Brewing: 2 Hours
- Fermentation: 2 weeks
- Bottle Your Beer: 1 Hour
- Bottle Conditioning (allows beer to carbonate): 2-4 Weeks
How Do I Get Started?
- First thing, Go to your local Homebrew Shop and get a beginners kit along with the ingredients to make your first batch of beer! Here are a few HomeBrew Shops in our area.
- http://www.beersolutionsinc.com/ – Wilkes-barre
507 Blackman St Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- http://www.simplyhomebrew.com/ – Drums
2 Honey Hole Rd Drums, PA 18222
- http://www.nehydrobrew.com/ – Dickson City
221 Scranton Carbondale Hwy Scranton, PA 18508
- There are many great books about Home brewing that are very informative.
- Join a Home Brew Club! There are several in the area! Home Brew Clubs are an excellent source of Home Brew Knowledge and Camaraderie! Here are some links to local homebrew clubs in our area!
http://scrantonbrewersguild.com/ – Scranton Brewers Guild
http://www.wyomingvalleyhomebrewers.org/ – Wyoming Valley Homebrewers
http://www.pa-alers.com/ – Susquehanna Valley HomeBrew Club
http://lvhb.org/ – Lehigh Valley HomeBrew Club