Fatal Monroe County Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EAST STROUDSBURG -- An elderly man is dead after a fire Friday morning inside his mobile home in East Stroudsburg.

Investigators said the blaze was an accident.

Firefighters spent nearly two hours knocking out a blaze that swallowed the mobile home in Buttonwood Court in East Stroudsburg.

Some neighbors living nearby who saw the fire erupt said it was bad.

"Our neighbor banged on the door and told us there was a fire and I came over here and then I went back and got my dogs because that fire was bad, it was fully engulfed, it engulfed the house. It was scary," said Ellen Lewis of East Stroudsburg.

"When I came down, all the flames were coming right out the front door, like it started in the front room," said another neighbor.

Fire crews doused the home making sure what was left of the home didn't ignite.

Meanwhile, fire marshals were also on scene, sifting through the debris.

As they did, the body of Harold Weidele, 85, who lived in the home, was discovered.

According to emergency officials on scene, a call came in around 8:00 in the morning from a neighbor, saying this mobile home was engulfed in flames.

The neighbor also said a loud explosions was heard coming from inside.

The fire chief believes those loud explosions came from oxygen tanks located inside the home.

The Monroe County Coronor said Weidele died because of the fire.

The fire marshal has ruled the blaze an accident, and said it started due to an electrical problem inside the home.