Defense Disputes Evidence In Cold Case Murder

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW MILFORD -- A police officer accused of murdering his wife nearly 30 years ago was in court to face the charges against him and the defense plans to discredit some of the evidence in the cold case murder.

John Walker from Susquehanna County has been locked up since he was arrested last month for allegedly shooting his wife to death nearly three decades ago, the death originally ruled a suicide.

Prosecutors on Wednesday presented evidence before the case could proceed to trial. The defense is already disputing much of it.

John Walker's defense attorney calls the commonwealth's case all smoke and mirrors.

The defense said not one thing has changed in 29 years or has directly linked Walker to the death of his wife, Lynda Conrad Walker in 1983.

The attorney general calls Walker a liar and says there is more than enough evidence to prove he is the killer.

John Walker had nothing to say as he headed into district court in Susquehanna County.

The former police officer was brought in, wearing handcuffs and shackles, to face a murder charge for the death of his wife Lynda Conrad Walker.

Lynda was found dead at their home, with a gunshot wound to her chest, in 1983.

Her death was originally ruled a suicide, but in 2011 investigators said a new autopsy led them to believe it was murder.

Lynda's brother, also in court, always felt she would have never hurt herself.

"I always felt that he was guilty but never really had proof in my head a hundred percent, and after today, I feel very confident a hundred percent proof to me, I just hope the court comes out with same answers," says Lynn Conrad, Lynda's brother.

The prosecution agrees. The attorney general calls John Walker's story a pack of lies. He said Walker has changed his story from his original statements to police, and the autopsy done by the forensic pathologist showed the way the gun was angled could not be discharged with Lynda's right hand.

"The defendant has clearly given two varying versions of events. He denies being present at the scene when clearly eyewitnesses who have nothing to gain, no dog in this fight, put him there, put his vehicle there," says John Flannery, Senior Deputy Attorney General.

But John Walker's attorney calls it nothing but smoke and mirrors. He said the prosecution can not directly link Walker to the scene of the crime, or the gunshots witnesses heard, to the crime.

He said Walker's testimony has been consistent since the beginning. Nothing has changed in almost 30 years.

"I don't believe there's any information that law enforcement has today that in any way changes the conclusion that this was a suicide," says Paul Ackourey, Walker's attorney.

Walker's attorney did push for bail, but it was denied and Walker is back in jail.

The judge ordered Walker to stand trial in the case and he is due back in Susquehanna County court December 4 for his formal arraignment.