John J. Hudak Jr., CEC, ACE, AAC, Executive Chef at Vanderlyn’s Restaurant prepares a Bone in Filet Mignon
Chairman’s Reserve Filet Mignon
Bone in Filet Mignon, Shitake Chianti Demi Glace
Bacon Potato Hash, Golden Beet & Tomato Salad, Julienne Vegetables, Sauteed Shrimp
Yield: 1 Serving
1 Each Filet Mignon, Bone in, Choice, Cut 10 Ounces
As Needed Seasoned Oil (EVOO, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Worcestershire Sauce)
As Needed Dry Rub (Granulated Onion, Garlic, Black Pepper, Rosemary, Salt, Thyme)
½ Ounce Garlic, Chopped
1 Ounce Shallots, Sliced
2 Ounces Chianti
2 Ounces Shittake Mushrooms, Sliced
2 Ounces Beef Stock
2 Ounces Bordelaise Sauce
2 Ounces Smoked Bacon, Julienned & Cooked until Crisp, Reserve Bacon Drippings
6 Ounces Yukon Gold Potatoes, Diced & Blanched
½ Ounce Scallions, Chopped
3 Ounces Golden Beets, Medium Dice, Blanched in Salted Water
6 Each Grape Tomatoes, Cut in Half
As Needed Your Favorite Vinaigrette – I Used Sherry Vinaigrette
1 Ounce Yellow Squash, Julienne
1 Ounce Zucchini, Julienne
1 Ounce Carrot, Julienne
To Taste Salt & Black Pepper
To Taste Parsley, Chopped
Method of Preparation
1) Dip filet in seasoned oil evenly on both sides.
2) Place filet on char grill & cook 2 minutes & turn filet 90 degrees to create crosshatch marks, after 2 more minutes, flip filet over & cook to desired temperature or finish cooking in 250 F oven.
3) While filet is cooking, heat clarified butter/bacon drippings in 10” sauté pan.
4) Add mushrooms & toss lightly, add garlic, shallots, sauté briefly.
5) Remove pan from fire, deglaze with Chianti, add beef stock, reduce slightly, add Bordelaise, season to taste, reserve for plating.
6) Heat clarified butter/bacon drippings in 10” Teflon sauté pan.
7) Add potatoes & sauté until slightly browned, season with salt & pepper, add bacon, scallions, reserve for plating.
8) Combine beets, tomatoes, salt, pepper, parsley & vinaigrette together, reserve for plating.
9) Heat clarified butter/bacon drippings in 10” sauté pan.
10) Add vegetables & sauté 30-45 seconds, add splash of Chablis, season with salt, pepper & parsley, reserve for plating
11) Heat clarified butter/bacon drippings in 8” sauté pan.
12) Add shrimp, sauté 1-2 minutes, add splash of Chablis, season with salt, pepper & parsley, reserve for plating
Plating the Dish
1) Place vegetables in the center of heated dinner plate.
2) Rest filet with the bone at 12 o’ clock over the vegetables.
3) Place the potato hash to the right of the filet & the beet salad to the left of the filet.
4) Spoon sauce over bottom half of filet.
5) Crown filet with shrimp & Enjoy.
Recipe Prepared and Presented By
John J. Hudak Jr., CEC, ACE, AAC
Executive Chef, Vanderlyn’s Restaurant