Feds Take Over Robbery Spree Investigation
Investigators believe two robbers hit businesses in Carbon, Luzerne and Schuylkill counties between December of last year and February of this year. The suspects are already behind bars.
Federal authorities announced Wednesday they have now taken over the investigation.
Authorities gathered at the state police barracks near Hazleton to announce federal prosecutors will be taking over a robbery spree case. The district attorneys in Luzerne, Carbon and Schuylkill counties agree it’s the right thing to do.
“It’s the determination of the people in this room that crime does not pay and the public is protected,” U.S. Attorney Peter Smith said.
A federal grand jury indicted Tysheed Hargrove and Jose Nunez for an armed robbery spree of convenient stores in three counties. The take: $8,300.
Prosecutors say of the 11 robberies, three were at Fegleys Mini-Marts, twice in Tamaqua the other one in McAdoo.
Clerk Angie Kitner talked about her experience seven months ago within hours of having a gun pointed at her.
“It’s horrible. I can’t sleep I can’t eat. I’m sick, I cry constantly, it`s hard,” she said.
Kathy Nicholls supervises Fegley’s stores. She said looking at the surveillance video of the stick-ups sparked a bad emotional response.
“I had nightmares about the gunman and how to keep my employees safe and I was challenging myself to make them feel at ease but I wasn’t at ease, I was scared,” said Nicholls.
Clerk Marlene Kunkel said she was shaken by the robberies and precautions are taken against getting robbed again. Fegley’s policy is that nothing is between customers and security cameras
“They come in with hoods we ask them to remove their hoods because you just never know,” Kunkel said.
Prosecutors say Tysheed Hargrove and Jose Nunez face a maximum of 20 years in jail for each heist.