State Police Tip Line: 1 (866) 326-7256

Thousands Turn Out To Race For The Cure

SCRANTON — The city of Scranton became a sea of pink Saturday as thousands filled the downtown streets as part of the 22nd annual Race for the Cure.

The race is one of the busiest weekend events to hit downtown Scranton all year, attracting hundreds from all over our area.  Many laced up their shoes with the same mission mind.

“To support all of the men and women battling cancer,” said Erin Valvano of Scranton.

As for the early morning atmosphere, many considered it simply:

“Inspiring.”

“Electric.”

“Amazing.”

Moments before race time Newswatch 16’s Mindi Ramsey and Marisa Burke rallied the crowd.

“With hope, courage, and determination we’re going to beat breast cancer.”

Then, the 5 kilometer race took thousands of runners and walkers throughout downtown Scranton.  

For most of these people, they did the 3.1 mile journey in memory of a loved one or in support of a friend who’s battling breast cancer.

Brenda Morris from Dallas just had another dose of chemotherapy this past week. By her side on race day were her biggest cheerleaders who call themselves “Brenda’s Warriors.” 

“It means the world to me and I’m so thankful to have such wonderful family and friends who are coming up to support me and everybody else that’s here,” said Morris. “The spirit to just help all of us find a cure is just absolutely amazing.”

 According to Susan G. Komen for the Cure, 75 percent of the proceeds collected stay in northeastern Pennsylvania to be used for mammograms for the uninsured, research, and support groups.  The other 25 percent goes toward national research to help fight breast cancer.

This marked the 22nd year for the Race for the Cure in Scranton.


Related Stories


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 32,928 other followers