Community Celebration in Lewisburg: Event Schedule
Bucknell University along with community members in Lewisburg are joining forces to celebrate art, culture, and more. A variety of free family activities are planned today (8/24) and tomorrow (8/25). See event schedule below:
- Aug. 24: The Samek Art Gallery exhibition, “Dusk to Dusk: Unsettled, Unraveled and Unreal,” Gallery, third floor, Elaine Langone Center, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The exhibition features 32 works of haunting beauty presented through painting, photography, sculpture, and video.
- Aug. 24: Gallery Series Concert, noon, Barry Long Jazz Trio, Samek Art Gallery.
- Aug. 24: Weis Center 25th Anniversary Open House, 3 to 6 p.m., Weis Center, with behind-the-scenes tours of the Center, giveaways, and an Instrument Petting Zoo.
Aug. 24: Official launch of Bucknell’s new Poetry Path. Starts at the Campus Theater on Market street at 3 p.m. with a walking tour of the path, which features poems that pay tribute to historic and culturally significant areas around Lewisburg to follow.
- Aug. 24: a 30-minute drum workshop/lecture/demonstration with Red Baraat, 4 p.m., Weis Center. The band will talk about their music and demonstrate the different musical influences, with considerable emphasis on rhythm.
- Aug. 24: The annual Bucknell Community Street Fair will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. at the corner of Market and South Fourth St., near the M&T Bank parking lot. The event will feature family fun including balloon animals, face painting, musicians, children’s crafts and games, and free hotdogs and soft drinks.
- Aug. 24: Weis Center Series performance by world music fusion group Red Baraat, 6 p.m., Weis Center Plaza. [rain location: Weis Center Lobby]
- Aug. 25: Universal African Dance and Drum Ensemble performance, noon, Science Quad, between Olin and Dana buildings. The annual opening event for the Griot Institute for Africana Studies will include stilt walkers, dancers, drummers, ground masquerades and an exciting acrobatic show. (rain location: Bucknell Hall)
- Samek Art Gallery exhibit “Dusk to Dusk” will be open from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. (both Saturday and Sunday)
- Aug. 25: Fiction and Poetry Reading with Bucknell students and award-winning faculty and staff, 2 p.m., Stadler Center for Poetry, Bucknell Hall. Readers include Bucknell students Somer Dice, Lauren Feldman, Cameron Norsworthy, and Lakiyra “Oompa” Williams ’14, Roth Resident Justin Boening, Stadler Fellow Carolina Ebeid, Vice President for Communications and Community Relations Pete Mackey, and creative writing faculty members Paula Closson Buck, Carmen Gillespie, and Robert Rosenberg.
- Aug. 25: Original plays created and performed by student members of Cap & Dagger theatre club, 6 p.m., McDonnell Amphitheater near the stadium. (rain location: Harvey Powers Theatre, Coleman Hall)