The Prosecution Wraps Up

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The prosecution has wrapped up its case in the Jerry Sandusky trial.

It's now time for the lawyers representing the long time Penn State defensive coordinator to present a much different defense; the defense of Jerry Sandusky's life. The prosecution finished Thursday, and defense is expected to take over on Monday

The prosecution's last witness shared the most graphic testimony of the trial. The eighth and final alleged victim to take the stand said he was repeatedly raped in Sandusky's home as a 12 year old. The now 18 year old from Snyder County said he would scream for help from the home's basement.

"What was I gonna do? Look at him. He's a big guy, way bigger than me," said the eighth alleged victim while on the stand.

A big question that remains in this case is why former Centre County District Attorney, and now missing, Ray Gricar didn't file charges in 1998, preventing some of the alleged abuse.

A former Penn State police investigator, Ronald Schreffler testified that he wanted to arrest Sandusky for child abuse in 1998.

He told jurors a mother complained to him about her son showering with Sandusky. Schreffler said he even hid and listened to that mom confronting Sandusky about it.

"I heard him (Sandusky) say to the mother, 'I wish I could ask forgiveness. I know I cannot get it from you. I wish I were dead,’” said Schreffler.

However, the alleged abuse from 1998 that so-called victim six described to jurors did not end in charges.

“There was an opportunity, a missed opportunity back in 1998. An opportunity that was missed not only by one person, but by a multitude of people,” said Howard Janet, attorney of alleged victim number six.

Alleged victim number three is one who testified he was abused after 1998. He's a 25 year old Iraq War veteran now.

Yet like other alleged victims, the man who had no father figure in his life told jurors he endured abuse in the Sandusky basement because of what the coach provided for him.

"I didn't tell anybody. He gave me things I never had before. I loved him,” said alleged victim number three.

The prosecution said it's done, and members of the public who listened to testimony said they put on a compelling case.

“I don't see how they can mount a defense the way it is. I thought to do it one time is bad but all these years over and over and over. How can a person do it, and how can they get away with it for so long,” said Bill Paul of Herndon.

The prosecution didn't officially rest, but the prosecutor did tell the judge he's done. The judge decided trial will resume on Monday. The defense is expected to take over then, but that leaves three days for jurors to think about the last witness of the day, the teen who said he was repeatedly raped.