Cinco de Mayo Recipe Ideas
Courtesy of: El Rincon, 69 North Main Street, Wilkes-Barre
1) Horchata – fresh made water.
Ingredients – 1 1/2 cups of rice, 1 cinnamon stick, 3 almonds, 1 cup condensed milk, 1 cup evaporated milk, 1 cup whole milk. Mix all ingredients in a blender with 1 cup water. Use strainer to take out left over pulp. Place in 1 liter pitcher. Fill rest with ice and water. Sweeten with sugar to your preference.
2) Pico de Gallo – 1 cup diced tomatoes. 1/2 cup of onions. Half cup of cilantro. 1 jalapeno. 1 squeezed lime and dash of salt.
3) Guacamole – 4 avocados, 3 diced tomatoes, 1/3 cup of onions, 1/3 cup cilantro, 1 diced jalapeno. 1 squeezed lime and dash of salt.
4) Nachos Tenampa = approx. 1 handful of corn chips. 1/2 cup of re-fried beans. 1/2 cup of muenster cheese. Then add approx. 1 cup of your choice of meat (steak, chicken, or pork). Place in oven or microwave to melt. Top with sour cream.
5) Torta (Mexican sandwich) – purchase Mexican bread from bakery known as torta bread. Slice down middle into sandwich slices. Toast bread. Ingredients in sandwich: smear bread with 1/3 re-fried beans and guacamole. Layer your favorite meat on top with lettuce, tomato, jalapenos.
Any questions on these recipes, contact Paole at El Rincon.