Standoff Ends Peacefully in Susquehanna County

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Nearly two dozen state police troopers from five counties converged early Wednesday morning on a home in Susquehanna County after receiving reports of a man barricaded in his home and threatening to harm himself.

Around 20 state troopers from around the area were called to Dougherty Road in Auburn Township, north of Meshoppen.

Officials said around 3 a.m., a friend of Russell Fauver, 29, called state police, saying Fauver had barricaded himself in his home and threatened to hurt himself.

The call brought troopers responding from Susquehanna, Wyoming, Lackawanna, Wayne and Pike counties, including members of the Special Emergency Response Team.

"I've seen police go by here before, but there was a whole lot of police from a lot of different counties. Yeah, it was a little nervy, but I keep my eye out," said Bill Nasser of Auburn Township.

Mara Mitchell saw them go through nearby Meshoppen.

"I saw a bunch of state troopers go flying past my house and I saw an ambulance go by," said Mara Mitchell of Meshoppen. "I was scared. You're not used to seeing stuff like this up here."

Neighbor Pat Oslin woke up when a trooper pounded on her door.

"We were told basically to stay in our house, stay away from our windows, that there was a situation and at that time, we really didn't know what was going on," said Oslin.

Seven hours later, members of the state police Special Emergency Response Team were able to talk Fauver into coming out of his home without incident.

"Hopefully he can get the help he needs. He's a good kid, he's been through a lot for his age. He lost his mom, he lost his dad in this house. Raising two children on his own, in this economy, it’s got to be really tough on him," added Oslin.

Oslin later removed several guns from Fauver's home for safe-keeping.

Troopers said Fauver was the only one inside and no threats were made.

Some in the area said the big police presence was shocking, but necessary.

"I guess in a way it's kind of a good thing, just in case there was more going on than we all knew. So it was a good thing they were there to help," added Mitchell.

State police said the response was normal operating procedure for situations like the standoff.

Fauver was taken into custody, but officials said it is unlikely any criminal charges will be filed.