The man who police said tried to cut off the hand of a high school student is now back in Wilkes Barre to face charges.
Juan Borbon was led into his arraignment in Wilkes-Barre after Luzerne County detectives brought him back from Passaic County New Jersey. U.S. marshals captured him two weeks ago after they said he fled Pennsylvania.
Police said Borbon used a machete to nearly slice off the hand of G.A.R. freshman 15-year-old Marquis Allen outside the school when the he tried to break up a fight.
The attack severely injured Allen, who had surgery to repair the hand. Newswatch 16 spoke with Allen after he learned of Borbon's arrest. He said he is in good spirits, but has a long recovery ahead of him. He is also relieved Borbon is back in Luzerne County.
Wilkes-Barre Police Chief Gerard Dessoye said despite reports this attack was gang related there's no evidence to back it up.
"I think most of the people are looking at this incident as some huge gang war spilling into the neighborhood and I don`t have any indication that that`s the case," said Dessoye.
Investigators charged Borbon with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, reckless endangerment and conspiracy.
Investigators said while they were questioning Borbon he never told them his social security number, what he was doing here, or how long he lived here.
Luzerne County District Attorney Stefanie Salavantis said investigators will first try to find out if Borbon is in the United States legally because of his strong ties to the Dominican Republic.
"I believe he's a potential flight risk. He did leave the area and we found him in New Jersey and tried to disguise his identity by cutting his hair," said Salavantis.
Borbon is locked up at the Luzerne County jail for failing to post $150,000 bail.
Also locked up is 16-year-old Yancy Abreau who police said gave Borbon the machete. He was picked up by Wilkes-Barre police late last month.
Borbon's preliminary hearing is scheduled for next Tuesday.