School Closings & Delays

Machete Attack Suspects Charged

wb bball security

Police in Wilkes-Barre have filed charges against two teenagers they believe are responsible for last week’s machete attack of a 15-year-old outside Wilkes-Barre’s G.A.R. High School.

One of the teens, Yansy Abreu, is in police custody. Police said he is charged with criminal conspiracy and aggravated assault. They do not believe he is the one who actually used the machete in the attack. Officers are still looking for the second suspect, Juan Borbon. He will be charged with aggravated assault.

Meanwhile, extra security was in place for Friday’s basketball game at G.A.R. High School.

The superintendent said six uniformed police officers were inside the school during the game between G.A.R. and Meyers.

The stepped-up security is a direct result of last week’s stabbing, as well as the intense rivalry between the schools.

“With a game with this magnitude and rivalry of what it is we would always have some extra officers in the area. That’s something we would take into consideration any time two teams with such competitive spirit play each other,” said Wilkes-Barre Police Chief Gerard Dessoye.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 37,858 other followers