More Delays in Selenski, Weakley Trials

Two accused killers in Luzerne County will have to wait at least another year before they head to trial.


Hugo Selenski and Paul Weakley are facing double murder charges after bodies were discovered on Selenski’s Kingston Township property in June, 2003.


The Luzerne County district attorney’s office filed appeals Tuesday to state superior court in the case of Selenski and Weakley. Those appeals mean another year or a year and a half before the men head to trial.


Prosecutors filed appeals to decisions made earlier this year by Luzerne County Judge Chester Muroski. The judge ruled that Weakley and Selenski will have separate trials on charges they killed Tammy Fassett and Michael Kerkowski.


Prosecutors wanted the two to be tried together.


Judge Muroski also ruled to not allow evidence into trial from a Monroe County robbery.


Prosecutors said in that robbery, Weakley and Selenski used ties to bind the victim; the same kind of ties that were used to bind Fassett’s and Kerkowski’s bodies. The district attorney wanted that evidence allowed at trial.


Attorney John Pike represents Hugo Selenski. He expected the delays but said they are disappointing.  “This case has been going on for over a year now. We’ve got 25,000 to 30,000 pages of records that we’ve gone through at this point in time. There area a lot of people that want to get this processed, especially Mr. Selenski,” Pike said.


Luzerne County District Attortney David Lupas was not available of comment.


As for Selenski and Weakley, the two remain behind bars. Selenski is in state prison in Dallas and Weakley is in the Lackawanna County jail.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 27,794 other followers